Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Off the black top

Prescott and environs are much more than the rodeo or events at Sharlot Hall or on the Square. There's an entirely different world when one drives a few miles off the black top. This world does grow smaller, unfortunately, as old-time ranches are surveyed and new lines are drawn on new subdivision plats. It's ever a problem: as much as aging ranchers might love the land, too often their kids don't give a tinker's damn about the rural life. So on the market the land goes. You know the rest of the story.

I've never spent any time at a local ranch; don't know any ranch people. But friend Bobbi lived many years on on the range and periodically revisits, with her camera. Here are two recent pictures she was good enough to send me, reminders that it's a way of life that continues. And in our own back yard.

Commentary: If you don't read the comments that readers post, you really should. F'rinstance, today DDD passed on the info that tomato growers he knows like borders of datura which they claim is tastier to the voracious tomato horn worm. He also suggested that I should turn the lights off before shutting my windows so the moths move on to better moons. I plan to follow his advice!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And to think it only a short drive from the city. You friend shared some nice photos.

Linda G. said...

What great photos! Nice to know the "old west" still exists.
Sigh... my old horse, Sky and I got to participate in a round-up or two. Hard work, but fun for a teenage, wannabe cowgirl and an old horse that loved to chase things.

Granny J said...

steve -- to get to the location of those pictures, it's about 20 miles through the mountains.

brain -- you came of age in a good time, with both horses and penicillin!

Linda Dove said...

That's "my" mountain in the first photo--I really miss it.

Granny J said...

yjwtaw -- yes, so it is. Do you ever get back to these parts?

Anonymous said...

Granny J, I'm late coming to this post due to work. But, thank Bobbi for us all.

Oh, I hope and pray the cowboy and rancher life doesn't die out completely.

Love the post and her pix!

~Anon in AV.

Granny J said...

anon av -- I am with you! Every ranch that is subdivided, we lose far more than we gain in sales or RE taxes!

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites