Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A pretty little dam...

...sits astride Lynx Creek upstream from the south end of the lake as you drive back out toward the Walker Road. Usually, there is a only small amount of water a couple of inches deep behind the dam. Thanks to all the welcome rain/snow we've had, water is pouring over. If you look closely, you'll even see the miner panning for gold on the near bank.

This stretch of Lynx Creek has been dedicated to the casual gold prospector -- unlike most of our public lands, which may be claimed for exclusive use (and most of them are, already).

At this point, I should confess -- not feeling up to the climb down to and up from the stream, I handed my camera to the dotter to take these pictures. She did a neat job, I'd say.

The water was making bubbles -- when it wasn't freezing.

I guess everyone -- well, at least some others -- were out looking at water cascading over local dams. After all, this is drought country and water over the dam is not a casual matter. In any event, on Sunday Tombo, Sadira and Rich all took pictures of Granite Creek topping the big dam at Watson Lake. And on the weekend, our little family of three couldn't resist photographing water-over-the-dam at Granite Basin and Lynx Lakes. I find myself wondering what about the Big Chino out at Sullivan Lake.

Note on Mom: Please take a moment to read the dotter's blog about missing Mom. She has expressed my feelings (and those of my bro) so well -- I couldn't begin to wrap the words around the subject as sensitively as she has. Thank you, OmegaMom!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Water, water everywhere--ain't it nice??

Hermano

pb said...

Thanks for the photos of your hike; I just adore waterfalls and spillovers.

Your "dotter's" post is lovely. Think of the grief as being already invested. You can take it out and revisit when you are over the difficult passing.

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Granny J! The Prescott area chamber of commerce needs to put you on their payroll. LOL It is raining/drizzling in soCal Valentine's morning, so I'll assume this storm will come your way. More water, ice, and snow! What a beautiful blog post by your dotter. The family talent continues! ~Anon in AV.

Linda G. said...

Wonderful pictures of Lynx Creek and the little dam. My Dad's family panned gold on Lynx creek during the depression. They got enough to see them through those hard times..

Granny J said...

Bro -- as you can imagine, everybody here just loves it!

pb -- part of the great difficulty now is the missing structure of my day to day life, which involved two or three visits to Mom every week. I find myself at loose ends!

anonAV -- we're getting it right now (11:30 a.m.) not much of a muchness, with a drizzle's worth of snow falling. The latest weather talk was of maybe a mere 1" accumulation. But, hey -- it's water. I'll take it any day!

brain -- I understand that all the creeks & the Copper Basin Wash were lined with folk panning for gold during the depression...

TomboCheck said...

Great photos GJ!! I love the lynk lake area. And the restaurant they have next to the bait shop is KILLER!!

Anonymous said...

Your daughter did a very nice job on the photos. Almost as good as the ones you took (smile)

meggie said...

I was very moved by your Dotter's wise words about your Mother. I was so shattered by my mother's death, but we all agreed, we could not wish her back, to suffer. I feel the Western world has a the wrong idea about death. It is, after all part of life.

I stopped to read more of your daughter's words. She writes so beautifully.

Love the water shots, beautiful, & so glad you have much needed water!

Granny J said...

tombo -- tho I've never tried it, I understand that Saturday night is German food night. As a one-time Chicagoan, I'm all for German food!

steve -- Oh, yes, she's a good photographer, as is the sson. I plan a post soon using some of his unusual pix of the Grand Canyon.

meggie -- I don't think anyone could write it better than the dotter. After reading her, I wouldn't even try...

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites