Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ethnic Memphis

That's one thing I truly miss, living in small town Prescott: the ethnic neighborhoods one finds in big or even medium-sized cities. Of course, Memphis doesn't compare with Chicago's incredible diversity. But then I wasn't expecting anything. Not in a American city in the South.

However, the Famous Niece from Memphis made sure that I saw the Buddhist Temple. Vietnamese. Very interesting just how a few touches on a standard model Memphis home changed its entire complexion. Of course, the gate, with its four dragons makes a big, big difference.

I should mention in passing that I also saw two Islamic centers, but was unable to get pix from the car.

However, I really got a kick how the Chinese food place adapted to local preferences, including local Vietnamese (below) as well as good ole boys.

Here's my favorite mix of styles -- subs & Chinese cuisine. I didn't try any; my only meal out in Memphis was Mid-South Ethnic -- which is to say, BarBQ.

7 comments:

meggie said...

I have just enjoyed a fascinating half hour or so, catching up on all your fabulous posts. I also checked out the cactus flowers, very pretty.
Thankyou for taking the time to share all your travels.

Anonymous said...

I have noticed that one can get authentic Chinese Food in the smallest and most desolate western towns these days.
What a country, America.
mark
ps I can't tell you how much I enjoy your writing and photos. I linked you up on my travel blog so look out!

Granny J said...

meggie -- I've enjoyed your trip back to NZ, too...

arty -- don't forget that the Chinese were imported to the west early on, to help build those continent-crossing railroads, though they were driven out of many settlements in western towns. The local Doodlebug Diggings, a big placer mining site in the Prescott area, is reputed to have been executed by the Chinese. Thank you for linking me, BTW -- I always appreciate that!

Anonymous said...

They just opened up a new Chinese place here in the hamlet. My wife and picked up some food to go. Not bad. We need a good Mexican place here. I guess we'll just have to take a vacation to the states. Enjoyed the post.

Granny J said...

steve -- many years ago, before we moved to Prescott, my job took me overseas with tour groups of American restaurateurs. A Chinese-American couple often travelled with us; in every city we hit around the world, they always checked in with the local Chinese restaurant(s) to catch up on the gossip. Only in Eastern Europe did they find that Chinese restaurants were not operated by local Chinese people...

Anonymous said...

We actually have a lovely range of ethnic fare in Memphis because, being a major medical training center... since turn of the century yellow fever epidemic... we get folks from many, many lands. Next time you come we'll hit a few more! -FNFM

Granny J said...

FNFM -- Sounds good. And Yummy!

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites