Friday, August 08, 2008

In the pink

I had promised myself to do a proper Scenic Alaska blog at this point, but (pause for excuses) 1) I hadn't prepped any pictures because 2) at this point I have so many beautiful scenes to share that it's too dang difficult to make the selection and, besides, 3) the dotter just finished the new John Scalzi paperback (The Last Colony), which she passed along to me & I was hooked. So I have to go with the pink pictures, already touched up and sized in PhotoShop.

To backtrack a little: what is at least as manly as a chainsaw? Earthmoving equipment, that's what. And, boy have I seen a lot of backhoes, blades & similar machinery, here, there and almost everywhere.

What I hadn't expected: a Pink blade. But then I looked at that Tew's sign again and it was in pink, reading "It takes Tews to tango...", which still doesn't explain the Pink. Maybe Mr. Tews has a little girl who, like the granddotter, is deep into the princess stuff, most of which is pink.

This beefy Pink Ford is about as expected in Alaska as those hanging baskets.

Here is the most muscular of all the Pink equipment my dotter and SIL pointed out to me on one of our trips, tho they were surprised by the non-Tews Pink Quonset hut that we discovered yesterday on our return from another wonderful backcountry adventure.

But this is typical of my great Alaskan adventure: contradictions everywhere. Restaurant offerings that would please almost any California foodie in a frontier world where there are less than ten (10 -- count 'em -- 10) numbered highways. Where a prickly, individualistic state which eschews zoning ordinances provides wide, paved bike/hiker paths along its handful of highways. Where taxidermists ply their trade cheek-by-jowl to espresso shacks. And he-man equipment might be painted pink. I love it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tews and his male employees are secure in their manliness!

Manly Alaskan men aren't afraid of pink!

~Anon in AV.

Anonymous said...

I would guess that Pink is easier to see in the snow in winter?

Granny J said...

anon av -- boviously not!

steve -- as you say,it might be more visible than the standard orange-yellow of earth moving equipment.

Anonymous said...

I've heard that some companies paint their equipment strange colors so it's easily spotted on flatbed trucks while being stolen. A standard yellow piece of equipment garners no attention, but a hot pink one gets spotted every time.

Granny J said...

az -- that's the best explanation I've heard from anyone. thanks.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites