Friday, April 18, 2008

Courtyards rock!

If you walk from the downtown library to the downtown post office, you'll pass this lovely little building every time. Moniker? The Courtyard Building. What else?

I've always been entranced by courtyards. How to describe them? Cool. Sensuous. Private. Secure. Up-scale. Ultra suitable for warm climates.

I've long had my own couryard dream. Somehow acquire four out of service railroad box cars, the longer the better. Reefers*, of course -- this is Arizona. Next, you somehow scoogie them into a box of box cars, with an atrium in the center, all on your 10 or 20 acre parcel. At this point, let your imagination do the rest of the architecture.

Dreams aside, if I needed a classy downtown office, here's where I'd locate if at all possible.

Pleasant plantings and a fountain.

Nice heavy Spanish style doors plus plenty of wrought iron window guards, just in case.

No idea how old The Courtyard Building is -- or its history; to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places, a building should be at least 50 years old, meaning I lived in a lot of "historic" places in my younger years. I spent over 30 minutes chasing down various lists of Historic Places in Prescott and Arizona and nowhere did I find a listing for The Courtyard Building. But then the name may have been changed or possibly the building is included in the general listing of the Courthouse Plaza Historic District. What I did discover in consulting The Google is that we have between 525 and 700+ official historic places in Prescott; here's a bobtailed listing of Yavapai County historic places.

*refrigerator car -- well insulated for hot summers, cold winters.

Linkage: A great site if you track pop culture is Carl Zimmer's Science Tattoo Emporium; he features some fantastic body art! Another set of pictures you will enjoy: Touch Wind down in the desert has photographed the first cactus blossoms of the season. And welcome a couple of new Prescott bloggers: Lemegeton and Rick & Debbie's Place.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courtyards are wonderful. They create a private, but outdoor, sanctuary. They provide partial shelter. Gringos don't know what they're missing.

Changes in the wind said...

I too love courtyards and these pictures are lovely:)

Anonymous said...

I think that is what makes New Orleans so charming. Great pics!

Jan said...

granny j..it took me a moment, but I was finally able to picture your dream courtyard! :)

I like it!

Anonymous said...

Office for lease! Oh, if only hubby and I could.... Oh well. Gorgeous photos.

I visited Touch the Wind's blog, and then saw on the right a link to Powell's City of Books. There's a very whimsical painting of animals and their lattes at:

http://touchwind.blogspot.com/2008/04/16-shopped-at-powells-city-of-books.html

What about bookstores in Prescott? I've been to the B&N at the Gateway Mall. But, any old bookstores still around?

Anonymous said...

The pictures of the courtyard reminds me of trips we have taken to Spain and Portugal. Lovely

Granny J said...

boonie -- As I originated in the SW, I've always had a hankering after courtyards & atria. Just never had one.

windy -- thank you for the kind words; I've been wanting to take pix of that building for a long time. I think I should have waited for a cloudy day, tho -- I had to work PhotoShop more than a little.

vicki -- I know they have covered walkways; I didn't realize there were courtyards, too, tho, considering the background of NO settlers, I shouldn't be surprised.

jan -- isn't it fun to conjure up ways to finish off that basic plan?

anon#? -- long-time bookstores here are primarily for used books, but there's The Worm on Montezuma which has been here for over 25 years. There's a newish Serious Used Book store in the arcade at the St. Michael. Marilyn's Book Nook on Gurley has almost any used book you might want and there are also a couple of used bookstores in the assorted antique/collectible malls over on N.Cortez. Maybe I should do a post about local bookstores!

Anonymous said...

I've admired the Courtyard Building as well, and am delighted to see your photos of it. I wouldn't suspect it as being at least 50 years old, though-- maybe the Historic Places plaque refers to the building's location?

Granny J said...

steve -- we have a certain amount of Spanish style architecture in Arizona, of course, considering the history.

melaniwell e -- actually, that building might date from the 20s, 30s or 40s.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites