Thursday, April 24, 2008

Flags to celebrate springtime

I suppose that if I really checked out the local True Value thoroughly, I could locate the proper hardware to mount my own flags. I like 'em; they're bright, colorful, seasonal and generally of good cheer. Thus far, I've left it to others.

Sandy's Corner on Gurley Street obviously owns an excellent collection; the flags are changed quite regularly. BTW, a question of old-timers -- what did the original occupant of this store sell? There's that hint of a Dutch windmill building on top of the roof, which is symbolic of dairy products in the USA, which, in turn, says that the primary product must have been ice cream.

Another business with a big-time collection of flags is JB's. Currently the theme is obviously Spring!

Happy bluebirds (above) & a pissed-off bluebird (below).

My neighbor has furled his dog and is now flying a stylized sun, seen through the aspen catkins. What could be more springlike?

Was tempted by the pretty swallowtail butterfly when I stopped by Tuesday Morning on Wednesday. But, again, there's that business of the necessary hardware. And the installation. And making up my mind just where to put it. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I hate to make decisions.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice flags! Maybe get SS to mount you a pole when he's in town in a few months? Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Let's hope that bluebird doesn't start leaving comments. You'll really have to beef up your anti-spam software.

Anonymous said...

Aahhh, if only I were there, GJ, I'd have my hubby put the flag up for you!

Love the pissed off bird; great foto find!

~Anon in AV.

Granny J said...

dotter -- that's exactly what I was thinking...

boonie -- he'd spice things up, he would.

anon av -- thanks for the offer!

smilnsigh said...

A lot of homes fly seasonal flags, around here, too. :-)

Mari-Nanci
Photos-City-Mine
Smilnsigh

Granny J said...

SnS -- I think all those flags are a wonderful new custom. Now it's time for quilters and seamstresses and other folk to make their own!

Lucy said...

What a lovely idea! Needs a fairly dry climate though, I suppose...

Granny J said...

lucy -- if they fly in upstate New York as SnS notes, no reason they couldn't fly in Brittany or Germany or Sweden!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
How about growing some butterfly friendly plants instead of consuming another transported item? Or making your own flag. Only in America must every ritual and item be ought and sold.......but the rest of the world is hot on your heals with predictable dire results.
Evan

Granny J said...

Evan -- I have some butterfly plants already, with a yellow swallowtail who cruises back and forth along my little street, several little cream colored fellows and a mourning cloak or two. As for all that imported merchandise, I would 1) far prefer to purchase something made in this country and, for that matter, Prescott... 2) make a flag myself, but then I'd merely be working on imported fabric, tho I suppose that I could use materials found at a thrift shop.

Avus said...

What a wonderful custom. We British are not "flag people" and I think we are missing out.

Granny J said...

avus -- perhaps it is because you British people are so used to seeing the Union Jack on all kinds of packages as well as in the sky. Flag fatigue, perhaps. But you could always start the fad, you know!

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites