Sunday, April 27, 2008

The new sculpture at Yavapai College

Don't know when this new sculpture first made its appearance at the entrance to Yavapai College, but it certainly wasn't there when I visited the school's sculpture garden last fall. I breakfast once a week at JBs with friends, which is why I discovered this very American Indian looking fellow; he's quite visible from Sheldon Street.

A closer look at the sculpture.

I had assumed that this was strictly metal work, but a zoom-in reveals that the center post is wooden. Can't furnish any details as to the sculptor's name or studio or location -- I tried The Google, but no dice. My fault. If I were to produce my posts during the day, instead of late evening, I could simply ring up the PR department at the college and ask.

Monday Morning: I did it! Called Yavapai College; the sculptor is Dick Marcuson, who at one time was on the art faculty. Other college/sculpture news: I'm sad to report that the collection of junkyard horses at Prescott College, which had grown to three, is now down to a single, lonely beast.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very specky(spectacular) steel and wood Kachina.

Hermano

Granny J said...

Hi, bro -- isn't it cool?

TomboCheck said...

That sculpture (I believe) used to be located in the quad area between all four original buildings. Then they re-did all the landscaping and removed the sculpture from up there. I believe that was relocated to the front sometime this past winter, but not 100% sure.

Granny J said...

Thanks, Tombo, for the info. You can tell where I've been -- and not been -- on the YC campus of late.

Avus said...

I immediately thought of a great Thunder Bird

coyoteradiotheater said...

What happened to the sculpture horses at PC?

Anonymous said...

avus -- you're right -- it must be a thunderbird! Thanks for the ID...

coyote -- I aksed my neighbor who's on the faculty & she had no idea. Perhaps they were loaners, there strictly on display. I hope he got a good price...

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites