Monday, July 27, 2009

Trees on the ridgeline

A tree standing alone against the horizon is an evocative image. Better when it is high on the ridgeline. (Very likely a juniper.)
Or perhaps a pinon pine. The junipers and pinons grow in drier conditions and thus are more likely to stand out as individuals.

However, I really admire the chutzpah of these trees somehow locating enough soil and water to prosper in a crack in all that solid granite over in the Dells!

More tree shapes outlined against the sky.

It took friend Bob's steadier hand to capture the Ponderosa pines at the top of Granite Mountain in these extreme zooms. (I tried, my hands shook -- and I tossed the dreadful results!) That's why most easy ridgeline shots do not include Ponderosa pines! Furthermore, our Ponderosas tend to grow in forests where individual trees do not stand out, unless there are many huge boulders separating them (above, below).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you appreciate ridgelines and trees thereon. It's always been a favorite of mine.

Actually the topological inverse is nice too: copses of ponderosas that grow in the dimples and gullies of wheat-covered, grassy hills. This is prevalent in the Palouse of eastern Washington state.

azlaydey said...

I love the view of trees against the sky, too. I sent a couple of my favorites by email.

Steve said...

The trees up on the granit are amazing.

Granny J said...

boonie -- and so in eastern Washington, the dry spots grow grasses instead of junipers or pinons.

lady -- thanks for sending me those pix; a purty view....

steve -- I'm always impressed with how the life force expresses itself in tough terrain.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites