Thursday, September 10, 2009

The broken oak tree

For as long as I've lived in my neighborhood, I've noticed this large hollow at the base of an older emory oak tree; we're talking nearly 25 years. I've photographed the hollow several times. But it was only quite recently that I noticed a substantial crack running up the trunk:

As the crack curved around to an inaccessible side, I lost sight of it, so don't know just how high up the tree it winds. As to the cause, who knows. It doesn't look to be lightening.

Old age? I'm sure that this oak will continue to leaf out its canopy long after I'm gone! Unlike us meat creatures, trees live a slow, measured life. But I'm still curious as to the reason for the crack in this tree.

Linkage: Cathy, new to blogging and new to Prescott, is expecting visitors and has posted her list of places to see and things to do locally; now she'd appreciate your additions to the list. Hie yourself on over to Nifty Things. After you've done that and still are looking for something to while away the time, you might want to take a course in Cosmology at MIT or Kitchen Chemistry at another institution of higher learning. Read all about the FREE, high-powered on-line courses offered by top colleges and universities.

4 comments:

azlaydey said...

Shhhhhush, or APS will cut it down!

Granny J said...

lady -- hey, that's good advice!

Kathleen said...

I love old trees with lots of character - they just beg to be in a painting!

Granny J said...

frame -- I think you'd like this one.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites