Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mr. Civic Graffiti Guy

Meet Mr. Civic Graffiti Guy in person. He's the fellow who wields that cool, long gizmo loaded with multiple cans of spray paint to inform one and all as to the location of assorted underground utilities and services (water, electricity, gas, sewer, cable, etc.)

I espied him the other day out the kitchen window as he left his mark up and down the street. Wonder what horrors of civic improvement drivers can expect as a result in the next couple of months! Below is a closer view of his white and green messages.

More examples of very recent writings. There are two basic differences between civic graffiti and the other kind: 1) the other kind is likely to be a lot more varied as well as artistic and 2) there is no program to wipe out dated civic graffiti (unlike the other kind). These text message-style scribblings remain on the streets, sidewalks and other surfaces until they either wear out or flake away.

Wouldn't it be grand to have a graffiti gizmo like the one this guy gets to use?

9 comments:

Antipodean Curmudgeon said...

That bloke sure could do with some tutoring with respect to his handwriting.

Hermano

Omegadad said...

Glad you're back home, Mom.

Meggie said...

At least it serves a useful purpose, unlike the hideous type we see, on fences.

Granny J said...

bro -- actually, I don't have too much trouble with the letters. Interpretin the message is another matter, tho.

sil -- thanks much. I'm more than glad to be there!

meggie -- fences present a lousy canvas for a decent work of graffiti, I'd say.

Catalyst said...

Oh, no! Dont give Tombo any ideas!

Sandy said...

I've been collecting "art" on trains with my photographic expeditions and perhaps I will devote a blog to that sometime soon - those guys use spray cans of paint to do their creations and would probably love that gizmo!!

Granny J said...

cat-A -- not to worry -- Tombo is merely the messenger, not the message creator!

sandy -- in cambridge Mass there's a city block long wall officially ok'd for graffiti. On the other hand, if I were a graffiti artist, I'm sure I'd feel compromised using a sanctioned wall.

Avus said...

The things you can find to entertain us, Granny! You have a good eye and an enquiring mind.

Granny J said...

avus -- basically, I am a very nosy sort. That's why I spent all those years as a journo, tho I have a lot more scope as a blogger than I ever did in the business press.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites