Saturday, January 17, 2009

Baroque without the Bach

In case you were wondering, the portrait is J.S. Bach; it resides above the electronic piano in the front room. My LH, who played a mean partita, clipped it from a magazine, popped it into a frame and up onto the wall. So you can understand that when I received notice that this month's chamber concert at the library was all Baroque, I made sure to be there. No Bach, but very good listening, nonetheless.

The LH would have loved this beautiful harpsichord; I would have loved hearing his music.

The music included a flute/violin sonata as well as a sonatina for viola and harpsichord...

plus a Corelli sonata for cello and keyboard...

and a double concerto for two cellos and harpsichord by Vivaldi. Musicians at the event included George Friedman, Dianne Holmgren, Anne Badger, Karen Giglio, Diana Hart and Beverly Chesterby.

I couldn't help noticing the lone old-time westerner -- the only hat in the audience; he was very much into the music.

And as a coda to my musical afternoon, this enthusiastic bongo player on a bench at the Square.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm quite partial to Baroque & Bach.

Antipodean Curmudgeon said...

Relative to your previous post and not to deprecate music of the Baroque (of which I approve), I note that there must be an Aussie in the Territorial Brass as Mr. Don Larry doubles on the euphonium and the didgeridoo--a rare combination.

Hermano

Granny J said...

karen -- that's why, regardless of their politics, my radio is usually set to NPR...

bro -- count on you to find the connection!

Anonymous said...

Hi- great post! I share your enthusiasm for Baroque music- which is why I like Bill Goldstein. He does Baroque improv- much like the impromptus of Chopin or Schumann, these are instant compositions with form and structure. Check out this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycMwdw4C6M
I also love his solo piano album, First Impressions:
http://www.amazon.com/First-Impressions/dp/B00000IKA0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231397480&sr=8-3

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites