Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Newspaper car on the Square

When I first saw the black car with white messages parked at the Square, it was mid-October. The perp appeared to be a Mr. Bill, who was claiming "victray at the Grand Canyon." Hmm.

Then just the other day, I came across a vehicle with another set of messages: "Walking backward from Los Angeles to New York City; need your support." The style looked familiar, but I wasn't convinced until tonight, when I cross-checked the telephone number. Yep, one and the same.

I sure hope that Mr. Bill or Ace or Gene or whoever gets that web site up, so that I finally know what this car is all about. Don't tell me to call that number -- t'would take all the fun out of my speculations!

Games in the Name of Science: I avoid computer games; haven't the time. Or, rather, I have an addictive personality -- and I'm afraid of spiraling down that bottomless hole. However, a recent article in New Scientist promotes science research projects that wear the veneer of games to make them catch the interest of computer users. There's Galaxy Zoo, where you classify images of distant galaxies; Foldit, a challenge to play with protein structures; Games With a Purpose, to help train computer vision and AI systems; another is Google's image labeler (which I have played). Maybe you can take a chance with your time. In a spare moment, of course.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Courthouse Square always seems to give us "interesting" characters! LOL

Glad we have you as our watchdog so we don't miss something new.

~Anon in AV.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Bill's rolling billboard. A picture of him would be nice.

TomboCheck said...

He's a character.

Granny J said...

anon av -- it's really important to hit the Square every so often just to keep up, characterwise...

steve -- we chatted about him and his entourage at breakfast this AM, and thanks to...

bombo -- now we know who the guy is and what he's up to. Thanks very much. Everybody should go to that site!!

Anonymous said...

I checked out bombo, I mean Tombo's link. Interesting man, he is.

Steve in Germany

DeltaCubed said...

"Mr. Bill" stopped by the Chino Valley Public Library one day this summer to make a copy of this article:
Record chaser plans to take on Grand Canyon

Man, there is a guy in good condition!

This search will turn up lots more info about him

Granny J said...

Thanks, ddd -- it looks like our newspaper car man is something of a celebrity...

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites