Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Variations on a Quilting Theme

A new quilt show by the Material Girls Quilters was another feature at last weekend's pie and ice cream social down in Skull Valley. Believe me, it was hard to decide which quilts to include here. However, I think many agreed that the sun motif was a winner.

Other themes included classic pinwheels (surrounding a not so classic petroglyph square), whirligigs...

...and autumn leaves.

An intricately quilted picture was also on display.

Other subjects included butterflies, cats...

...and very colorful chickens.

For a western flavor, each square in one quilt featured a stylized Indian petroglyph.

More western -- a bandana quilt above and (below) a stitched picture of a desert saguaro.

However, the prize for most up-to-date goes to a commercial coverlet at a sales booth just outside the exhibit hall. Harry himself, suitable for keeping any youngster warm and safe at night.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those quilts look so artistic and colorful, I couldn't decide which one I like best - the suns, pinwheels, autumn leaves or butterflies.

stitchwort said...

Nothing surpasses old Amish quilts!

I've done your tag at last.

quilteddogs said...

Oooohhhh. This post was right up my alley. I think my favorite one is the chickens. The official name for the pinwheels and whirlygig is "stack & whack" a special way to cut out the quilt pieces.

Linda G. said...

I'm with Olivia and also with quilteddogs! I thought i could never choose just one, but then there were chickens!

Anonymous said...

Nice quilts. I still have two that my grandmother quilted in the 60s.

Steve

Granny J said...

Olivia -- I've wondered -- do they still make patchwork quilts in Europe or did they ever? Ours are so popular, I'd guess, because they're so close to our comparatively short history in this country.

Stitch -- Very true; the old quilts remind us that they were made because of thrift and necessity. Old scraps from sewing projects and from clothes that were worn beyond patching!

QD & Brain -- I have half a mind to see if I can do a blow up of one or two of the squares for a post all about decorative chickens!

Steve -- I have an unfinished quilt or two that date way back in my father's family. All I have are the tops; they haven't been applied to the batting & backing.

Jan said...

They're all outstanding..but I think my favorite is the chickens!

I can stil remember seeing the quilitng frame hanging from the ceiling in my grandmother's home, when I was a little girl.

Pete said...

All so beautiful. My favourite? The autumn leaves.

Thanks

Pete

Granny J said...

Welcome, Pete -- so the vote is between the chickens and the autumn leaves. That leaves me all the rest for my very own.

Anonymous said...

Dear Julie,

I must confess that I do not know whether quilts were ever made in Europe, probably Stitchwort would know more about it.

I have not seen any in Germany yet, although the Amish emigrated from Germany to the States, didn't they? Stitch calls your samples Amish quilts.

I really do not know much about it. But I admire this wonderful art which to me seems to be thoroughly American, made in the USA.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites