Saturday, August 12, 2006

A Few Whirligigs & Fluttery Things


Businesses and politicians are well aware of the attention- getting, possibly hypnotic value of motion -- hence banners, flags, balloons, fireworks, what have you. People simply enjoy Things in Motion.

On the home front, too: whirly and fluttery ornaments, like the whirligigs above, or the swinging old-fashioned girl below. Lots of 'em around Prescott, a town that counts a lot on nostalgia for its appeal.



Spinning windmills evoke other memories -- of wells and pump houses on old homesteads. A few working models still out there in the outback, for watering horses and cattle on the range, by the way.


And my most favorite of the spinning, fluttering ornaments I've seen on my walks. Made from two Pepsi cans -- and my, it really whirls if there's any breeze.

1 comment:

k said...

Ha! It just so happens I picked up a whirlygig recently in my plant rescue travels. And here, I thought I was the only one.

That last one, with the Pepsi cans, is absolutely tops.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites