Monday, July 21, 2008

A good bird day

How lucky can one get! I was about to photograph my happy sunflower plant, when lo and behold, a humming bird came visiting. Fortunately, a sunflower consists of many, many true flowers, so the hummer lingered just long enough for me to take two pictures. No, I didn't have time to think, so I wasn't using the sports setting!

And surely it was just coincidence, but friend Bob chose the same day to forward bird portraits he had taken as he sat on his front porch. Above, a tiny hummer, no doubt on the lookout for interlopers in his turf (there's almost no critter more feistily territorial than a pretty little humming bird.)

Two other birds at his feeders: above, a sparrow of some sort and, below, a handsome rufous-sided towhee.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GJ, being in the right place at the right time. Good on you.

Anonymous said...

Great bird shots. Sometimes, they just cooperate. Bird version of vanity maybe?

Granny J said...

steve -- sometimes it all works out, tho my luck with bird photography has been quite iffy.

dagny -- they do enjoy a certain amount of vanity, don't they?

Jan said...

granny j..great pictures of some of favorite creatures!

Granny J said...

jan -- as I've moaned before, bird pictures are One of Those Things that continue to challenge me. Thus far, the birds appear to be winning & it's pure luck when I happen upon a hummer that is still long enough to focus on him!

JuliaR said...

Wonderful markings on the Towhee! But even though they are plain, I have a soft spot for sparrows. I have been dive-bombed by hummingbirds and even more so when I was wearing red. They are amazing little things.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites