Friday, July 18, 2008

Unveiling of the library horny toad

This poster hints at what what's hidden behind the burqa below -- the second new sculpture to be added to the downtown library's growing collection of art. Today was the big unveiling. Right at 1 p.m.

The new Prescott Library Lizard is a horned toad, which is, properly speaking, not a toad but a lizard. When I was growing up, it was always toad; of course, we're far more sophisticated these days, so horned lizard it is.

The young lady with the tail (above) is one of the mural mice, who is about to start work on the new mural at the back of the library.

The sculptor, Heather Johnson Beary, has lived in Prescott since 1993; another of her local works is at the Highlands Center for Natural History and her 8-foot collared lizard was created for the Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument.

Let the unveiling begin: so announces library director Toni Kaus to the crowd which had assembled despite the hot sun. If you look in the background, there is one woman who came prepared with a big umbrella for shade. (Below) The sculptor adds to the credits for the foundry and bronze patina work.

Voila! The horny toad appears. Hizhonor the mayor Jack Wilson is the tall guy at left.

I was impressed at how many cameras came out for the occasion. Four of 'em in this small portion of the crowd. Another photographer was shooting the event from the cool inside of the library.

So here's the literary lizard, complete with his very own cat, seated on two books. Titles: Wild Things and ('neath the cat) Lizards for Lunch. Oops! Now that I look more carefully at the picture, I realize that I didn't peer closely to see just what book the critter is reading. Careless GrannyJ! My one complaint about the sculpt is its placement: you can't see the horny one's carapace very well.

Lemonade and cookies from Grama's Bakery followed the ceremony and were, in turn, followed by lizard makings for the many kids present. I'd never seen this pleasant grassy lawn to the east of the library; a very neat place.

A Further Note on Event Photography: Tony, of Observations, was also at the event taking pictures and one of my anon readers posted a photo that includes me; FYI, I'm not the tall photographer! Also: check out Karoliina; she's been posting individual pix of the iron zoo out Iron Springs way.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the lizard. Heather did a fine job. Nice post, enjoyed it much.

Antipodean Curmudgeon said...

Our equivalent critter, similar in many respects, is the 'Mountain Devil'. The name is a bit of a misnomer, there being no 'mountains' over about 4000' in this state (about half the size of lower half USA), but they do look a tad devilish.

Hermano

Anonymous said...

On the way home from the unveiling I had turned to my wife and said something to the effect, "Wasn't that a horny toad?" I guess a horny toad is more lizard than it is toad. But what the heck it's still great!

Anonymous said...

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5998/img7913largeus6.jpg


Lots of people taking pictures!

Who is that I see up on behind the railing?

Anonymous said...

http://img134.imageshack.
us/img134/5998/
img7913largeus6.jpg

my address got cut off, i will try again.

Warren said...

a great sculpture & a great piece of art for a library! Thanks for sharing!

Granny J said...

steve -- our library has got itself some very cool statuary.

bro -- does your little devil have spikes a la our horned toad?

tr -- besides, it isn't your every day lizard (or "toad") that can read, is it? Were you one of the four I got a picture of?

anon -- your whole site came through just fine; however, to make things easier, just click here
Yes, you did capture me, but did you figure out which photographer I was?

warren -- it is great -- but we sure don't have anything that is quite as neat as your blue house with the yard art.

Anonymous said...

Granny J,

I agree. A special reading reptile and no I wasn't one of the four. I think I was in the same area but a little closer to your position.

Granny J said...

tr -- I really wasn't able to keep track of all the photographers present at the unveiling. The woman I stood next too was taking pix for the library's archives, BTW.

smilnsigh said...

That horny toad is precious!!!!

And he has a butterfly too, I think... Sort of under where his feet are resting.

Miss Mari-Nanci
Smilnsigh
Photos-City-Mine
When Twilight Embraces

Granny J said...

SnS -- you're so right about that butterfly. I wonder what else we'll find after we examine the horny one more carefully...

Anonymous said...

Granny J, I found you in the photo! The weird thing is...the woman to the right of the man with the white beard and cowboy hat to the right of you.... is my doppelganger.

Hubby and I were shocked; it looks like I'm in the photo, too, with a cowgirl hat on.

Another great post!

~Anon in AV

meggie said...

Wonderful Lizard!
Great post.

TomboCheck said...

Great post as usual Granny! I will have to take a stop by the library and check him out. :)

Granny J said...

anon av -- I know it can't be you since you're back in Calif! But are you sure you didn't have a twin back in the day?

meggie -- it was a splendid occasion, especially for the kids.

tombo -- be sure to find out just what that dang critter is reading!

Granny J said...

Re: Australian Mountain Devil -- I went to The Google & found a fine article, plus pictures. He's a spiny critter indeed. Also an ant eater, like our horny toad.

Toni Kaus said...

Glad you were able join us for the unveiling. Our horned lizard (aka horny toad) is reading from "The World Book" and learning that some horned lizards ward off predators (maybe that mountain lion on the wall?) by spraying blood from their eyes. By the way, one of the books the lizard sits on is "Lizards for Lunch," illustrated by local artists Beth Neely and Don Rantz. Toni Kaus

Granny J said...

welcome, toni -- and do visit again! Glad to know what the critter is reading, as well as the local connection to the Lizards for Lunch book.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites