Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Meet More Prescott Bloggers

We're planning another meet-up for Prescott bloggers, which prompted me to do another search of Blogger to see if I am missing anybody from the master list (see my blogroll at right.) All I can say is "Oh boy!" At this juncture, there are some 240 folks who have said they're in Prescott and they're doing a blog on The Google's monster blog home. No, I didn't search other hosts, not knowing my way around TypePad and simply being too old to unravel the spaghetti of MySpace. But I found some interesting new folk.

Little Buddy, who's into bicycling long distances (like the Skull Valley/Wilhoit/White Spar loop), blogs at The 305; this handsome tarantula is her most recent picture. Like many of the bloggers listed among the 240, she is an educator. Another interesting local educator writes TableTop Education, focusing in on those new $100-200 machines and what they can do to enhance youngsters' education here and in the 3rd World.

Michelle has a house full of looms because she loves fibers and colors; you can meet her at Weave Your Dreams. She also managed to get a bunch of hydrangeas to bloom. In Prescott. Another interesting local artist shows her work at Kathy Anne Art; her very contemporary approach combines digital imaging, unusual surfaces and fabrics.

The picture above is a site up in the juniper woodlands north of Paulden; Mountainaire Systems, a contract archeology firm, reports on its findings in a survey of the Drake/Hell Canyon area. (FYI: Our two favorite HC sites were a lush spring closer to the Verde River and a pond upstream on the west side of SR89.)

Many of the bloggers I checked out were writing very personal accounts of their lives, their families, their philosophies. However, there were a few who had recorded an evolving story and quit when it was done. For example, Garage on Granite Street, a series of posts by PrescottStyle that recorded the building of the city garage.

Not what you would expect in Prescott. A poet, Tasha, lists four blogs, one of which pairs a Brueghel painting with the matching poem by William Carlos Williams. It's another short-term blog; however, you can also visit her at Tasha's Blogging What-Not which is updated regularly. Yet another short-term read is Bob the Builder, who tells how he designed and built his local home (below.)

If you're interested in reading about more of the 240 Prescott bloggers, click on "view my complete profile" in the right hand column and then click again, this time on "Prescott". You'll find that after the first 35 or so listings, the blogs tend to be older and not updated recently (though that's not a hard and fast rule.) You'll also discover one of the dirty little secrets of those big numbers about the millions who are posting on the web -- far too many make one or two entries and then find something better to do, others choose a template and let it go without writing a word.

About the Meet-Up: 2:30 PM at The Raven over on Cortez Street in Prescott on Sunday, December 16.

13 comments:

quilteddogs said...

Thanks for sharing the results of your blog search. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Granny J said...

Thank you for the holiday thoughts, QD. The search was fun, tho time- consuming.

smilnsigh said...

Ohh my, a spider. Eeeeee... :-)))))

Happy Thanksgiving.

Mari-Nanci

Granny J said...

What a fine double entendre, SNS! Forget the eeks -- I'm sure you'd be right there with a camera, too, if you met up with such a handsome tarantula.

Granny J said...

And a Happy Thanksgiving right back to you!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting the time and place together for another meetup, GJ.

What a boatload of blogs to go through. I'll save that for tomorrow a.m. when the pies are in the oven.

Coincidentally, my post today is about local bloggers, but with a different slant.

Granny J said...

Katie -- I can smell those pies now! Other readers might be interested in her commentary on ways to increase your hometown readership.

RE IN AZ said...

Well, it's on my calander.

I'm only following a couple of local blogs (you and katie), but I'm still new to the whole thing. I do know that in the course of gathering information for my water blog that I have been amazed at the people and resources in our midst.

Granny J said...

Hi RE -- it will be great to meet you in person. We've got a good group.

meggie said...

Interesting about bloggers who seem to suddenly tire of the blog.
I had a cyber friend who posted daily, then all of a sudden stopped, & has not returned. An email of inquiry was answered saying she is ok, & would resume, but she never has.
I suppose life sometimes just takes other directions.
I hope you have enjoyed a lovely Thanksgiving.

Granny J said...

meggie -- thank you for the kind sentiments. As for people who simply turn-off after blogging, I suppose many have written themselves out of topics and others found more important things to do. I really miss the people I have followed who no longer blog!

Rowan said...

I haven't been blogging for the past few months because my job's been so hectic. But if you're interested in my old writings, they can be found here.

Granny J said...

Rowan -- I hope that you can find time on Dec. 16 to join with the Prescott blogging crew! BTW, I left a note at your site.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites