Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Lynx Lake critters

The Lynx Lake Store is just that -- a resort lake store, with a little bit of this and a little bit of that. Important items include fishing bait, smokes, snacks, a few staples that folks in the camping grounds might need.

And a grand collection of pricey kitch, in case you ever wondered where people found such stuff.

Of all the critters on display, I was drawn to the buzzard, though for the life of me I can't figure out where the designer got the idea that a turkey vulture has a crest or a long neck. No way, just that naked red head. Studying the picture below, I'd make a bet that the mold which produced our buzzard also produced, say, a flamingo or some other flashier bird. I can't believe that this is the product of a chain saw artist; at least, not a local artist who has seen a buzzard. Besides, the beak is whitish.

I had a difficult time pulling friend Patty away from the copper javelina. Then she saw the price tag -- $300. And, no, we do not have moose one (below) in Arizona. Maybe Idaho or Montana. Not down in the sunny Southwest, however. But, hey, it's kitsch we're talking about and when did kitsch ever have anything to do with real life?

Vintage Cars: I guess the love of old vehicles must be a worldwide phenomenon. Visiting Windy Skies for the first time in a couple of weeks, I chanced upon a vintage/classic car rally in Mumbai. Not just vintage. Not just classic. Also classy! And, now this -- Rich has a pair of warring lizards. Big guys, unlike the teensy guys I find on my logs.

6 comments:

meggie said...

I have tagged you for a List. No obligation. Questions are not too arduous, & your answers could be very interesting if you choose to do it.

Anonymous said...

Kind of makes me want to go fishing.

TomboCheck said...

Where is the mention of the Cafe?! The only reason I have for making my way through all those critters is for the spatzl waiting on the other side. :)

Granny J said...

maggie -- I'll check it out...

steve -- the last time I went fishing, it was with my Dad who suggested that I skip school to join him. Down on the Inland Waterway in Florida.

tombo -- I haven't been back for the klopse as yet, thus no new pix of the cafe.

The Frame and I said...

Haha - love the kitsch! The cow is a favorite of mine. And, yeah - that buzzard totally has some flamingo in him! LOL!
Kathleen

Granny J said...

frame -- you often feature some very fine cats in your Gurley Street window. They're hard to photograph!

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites