Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sugar and spice...

...and everything nice. That's what little girls are made of. What are little boys made of? Frogs and snails and puppy dog tails. That's what little boys are made of.

The subject, as you can plainly see, is Tshirts and casual wear -- and what they tell little girls and boys to think about themselves. I took this picture and several below in the little kids department at the local WallyMart. For girls, butterflies & pink & cutesie. And hearts, of course. All over the place, hearts.

And don't forget about that princess stuff that goes with all that pink and fluff. Talk about your stereotypes!

As for little boys, more stereotypes. Let's hear it for monsters, machines, trucks and L*O*U*D designs. (Tho I didn't see a skull; those must be for bigger boys.)

Another theme for the boys: dinosaurs. The clothing folk might do a dino for the girls, but it would be a much, much cuter, wear a smiley face, wink and stand in the midst of fairy dust and flowers. On a pink background, natch.

All this commentary is by way of introduction to my latest acquisitions which arrived by priority mail from The Famous Niece from Memphis last week. TFNFM works at a rehab facility; the items below were donations presumably for the resident women recovering from drug and/or alcohol problems. She took one look at the lot, said, "No way, not for our ladies -- but perfect for GrannyJ." Real girly girly stuff.

Tshirt #1 a skimpy paean to Betty Boop, who has been resurrected from oblivion in recent years.

However, the theme of the collection is skulls for girls, or one might say, girly skulls. Just like I'm always whining about the absence of. Except: look at these skulls, will ya. I mean, like, I mean, can't they let well enough alone? Of course not. They have to be cutesied up. Got to maintain that good old stereotype.

Take a careful gander. Oh, so cutsie poo, that mix of skulls and hearts. And smileys, to top it off. Nor can we overlook the pink. Perhaps these garments should be called skullies (with apologies to Gillian Anderson).

One, maybe two of the lot might work for me. The others are skimpy, skinny tops for soda straw teenyboppers. Maybe you'll see me one of these days in the green number, Walking Prescott, taking pictures. Dare me!

May Prescott Blogger Get Together: This coming Sunday (May 17) at Casa Sanchez, 1459 W. Gurley, at 2:30 p.m. Come one, come all! I might wear the green number.

6 comments:

Antipodean Curmudgeon said...

The 'Skullies' might also be labled 'oxymo T's''

You will cut an interesting figure when donning one of them--foto please.

Hermano

meggie said...

I suspect there is a little part of you that wants someone to dare you!!

Teresa said...

I dare you Granny, GO GREEN! T

Granny J said...

bro -- will do...

meggie -- there's always that inner biker lurking around.

teresa -- ok, I will. This Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I'm late to the game, so I double dare ya!

~Anon in AV.

Granny J said...

anon av -- all we need is one more comment to Double Dog Dare me! Anyhow, I'll wear it the next time you're in town, if it doesn't disintegrate first.

 
Photo Blog Blog Top Sites Blog Directory for Prescott, AZ

Local Blogs - Blog Top Sites